After a long time literally drag myself to the kitchen and made this halwa on demand. And thank god it was good....received appreciation :)...
Its needs time and patience so, do not rush through this steps.
chana dal/Split Bengal Gram
|Chana dal (gram pulse)||1/2kg|
|Mawa (khoya)||500 gm|
|Almond & Pistachio||20 to 25|
- Soak the dal overnight in plenty of water.
- Boil chana dal with milk on low heat till soft and the milk is absorbed.
- Grind the dal coarsely using very little water.
- Heat ghee in a thick-bottomed pan and add the ground chana dal and sauté, stirring continuously, over low heat till the dal turns golden / ghee separates from the chana dal.
- This takes approximately 30 minutes.
- Add sugar powder and Stir till they are thoroughly incorporated and the halwa is of dropping consistency.
- Add mawa and cook till it dissolves.
- Decorate with almonds, pistachios and silver. Serve warm.
- I used 350gm sugar and it was enough sweet, but ammi was telling if it’s more sweet it will last for longer time. For boiling chana dal use cooker, once it give whistle slow down ur burner and cook for 12 minutes.
Mawa /Khova/ Khoya / Khoa are all but the same names for solidified milk made of either dried whole milk or milk thickened by heating in an open iron pan. More from wiki here…